Sunday, May 1, 2011

Projects left unfinished

I know we all have the the random pile of unfinished projects.  I'm guilty as well.  

I spent Friday and Saturday helping my mom clean for company that she has coming in a couple of weeks.  While she was out checking on my kids and playing with them I came across an old cookie tin.   I could tell something was in it so I opened it up to see what my mother had stashed away in it because I remember the tin from when I was a lot younger.

To my surprise this is what I found.





Look at all those little squares!


Look at the little Scottie dogs with balls on the dark blue.  I wonder what the outfit looked like that was made from that fabric.  I'm sure one of my uncles wore it.  





These are tiny 2 inch square pieces of fabric hand sewn together by my Grandmother.  This quilt is unfinished and I plan to finish it as a surprise for my mother for Christmas.     I plan to keep the integrity of the quilt and continue hand sewing these little pieces together.

I never got to meet either of my Grandmother's.  The one who sewed this beauty together passed away 2 weeks before I was born,  so I value this piece of history in my heart wishing I knew where each piece of fabric came from.  Was it from one of her aprons, or an old flour sack?

I don't think I have enough fabric to finish what is here so I will be scouring the goodwill store and craigslist to find pieces to finish this up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment