Yesterday a fellow blogger was talking about how much zucchini they had and were substituting it for other vegetables in different recipes. It reminded me of the different things I have made and that my mom made when I was a still at home.
The first thing that came to mind was her chocolate zucchini cake. Mom made a lot of the usual things as well, fried zucchini and zucchini bread, but the cake stands above them all ,and well most people like cake.
Since it isn't a secret family recipe here it is for everyone to enjoy.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
2 c. Sugar
1 c. Vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 ½ c. all purpose flour
¼ c. cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. milk
2 c. shredded fresh zucchini (I peel mine so my hubby doesn’t know he is eating it)
1 TBSP. vanilla
In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine flour cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Gradually add to egg mixture alternately with milk. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Pour into greased 15 x 10-inch baking pan. Bake at 375 F. for 25 minutes or until cake tests done.
Frosting for Zucchini Cake:
½ c. butter
¼ c. cocoa
6 TBSP evaporated milk (I have used regular milk with no problems)
1 lb. (4 cups) powdered sugar
1 TBSP vanilla
Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Spread frosting over chocolate zucchini cake while it is still HOT. Cool on wire rack.
I hope any of you that try like it as much as I do. My husband didn't know any different until after he had a few pieces and came across a fleck of the peel that I had missed when I peeled my zucchini. He still ate it, but we laugh even harder knowing I had given half the cake to his parents and brother knowing his dad and brother don't eat many vegetables.

Ooh, maybe I'll have to test this out on my boyfriend... he's not afraid of vegetables in general, just zucchini and most squashes specifically.
ReplyDeleteI <3 chocolate zucchini cake!! You can also sneak leftover (not expired! ;) ) jars of baby food into cake... Mmmmm, secret veggies...
ReplyDelete