Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Test Kitchen Tuesday

When I was a LOT younger, 8 or 9, I would ride my bike to 'Opal's house'  Opal, was in her 70's and she lived by herself on a farm.  I love to visit her and play with the cats in the barn.  Opal on occasion would give me a small box of homemade strawberry jam to take home with me.  I guess you could say she spoiled me because I cannot stand store bought jam, so for today's Test Kitchen Tuesday I'm going to show you how easy it is to make your own home made strawberry jam. It is really easy I promise!

You will need:
30 minutes of free time
2 Pints (approximately 1 pound) Fresh Strawberries
4 cups white sugar (Reducing Sugar or using sugar substitutes will result in set failures)
1 box of Sure Jell
a Potato masher
5 1 cup freezer containers washed and dried


Remove the stems from your berries and wash the berries to remove any excess dirt.  

Place half of your berries in a bowl and mash with the potato masher.  Remove the first set of mashed berries and add the rest of the berries and repeat.  Make sure you have 2 cups of mashed berries and juice.  If you have too much your jam will not set properly.



Add your 4 cups of sugar to the strawberry's.  (Reducing Sugar or using sugar substitutes will result in set failures)  Mix well and allow to sit for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a sauce pan combine 3/4 cup water and your package of sure jell. Bring to a boil and let boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. The sure jell will be slightly lumpy until the water starts getting hot.


Stir Pectin mixture into sugar mixture until sugar is dissolved and no longer grainy, about 3 minutes. ( a few sugar crystals may remain)


Pour into prepared containers, leaving 1/2" space at the top for expansion during freezing.  Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours until set.

 

Personal note of experience: if you do not let the jam sit at room temp for 24 hours the top will be firm but the bottom will be like strawberry syrup.  It is still good though.
Refrigerate for 3 weeks, otherwise store in the freezer for up to 1 year.  I have had the jam in my fridge for over 3 weeks with no changes or ill effects, or discoloration.

I get a lot of shocked faces when I say I make my own jam, but now you can see how easy it is to do.  I have enough jam for close to a year and it cost less than $4. It could be more or less depending on the area you live in.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, this post is so timely! My aunts in Ojai, CA just gave us 6 jars of homemade jams and marmalades. Ever since I have been obsessed with the idea of trying to make my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made three batches of Strawberry Jam this week too, mines canned but hey- tis the season of fresh Strawberries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess I am spoiled too,because I refuse to purchase or use store bought myself! Your recipe sounds very yummy :)

    ReplyDelete