Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Test Kitchen Tuesday Week 3

This week I have chose to share with you my recipe for homemade pizza.

 

Pre-heat your oven to 425 F.

Crust:

1 Pkg active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 teaspoons if you buy yeast in bulk like I do)
1 cup warm water (think baby bottle warm or about 100 degrees F.)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 TBSP olive oil (vegetable oil works fine too)
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2-3 1/2 cups flour (the amount will vary depending on the amount of humidity for the day) (all purpose flower works fine, I like bread flour though.)

Combine yeast and water in a med/large mixing bowl. Let sit until yeast dissolves, about 2-3 min.  Add sugar and oil, stir until sugar is dissolved.

Let sit for 2 more min and let the yeast 'proof' or grow then add the salt to 'stop' the growing process.  Add flour 1 cup at time mixing well after each addition.

after 1 cup flour


 After about 2 1/2 cups your dough should be hard to stir and very sticky to the touch.


after 2-2 1/2 cups


Sprinkle some flour on the counter top and turn your dough out on the floured surface and knead dough, adding flour as needed until...

my crappy white counter tops makes it hard to see the flour, but this is the best picture I could get.




 Sprinkle some flour on top of the dough and knead for 5-10 min adding a sprinkle of flour as needed until the dough is soft and elastic, but not sticky.  It will form a nice ball.


 Now you can return the dough to your bowl the cover the bowl with saran wrap or a towel and let rest for at least 10 minutes.  



To make your pizza, if you want really thick crust use the whole amount of dough and make nice round pizza with all your favorite toppings.  If you like thinner 'hand tossed' crust divide your dough ball in half and use the other half for bread sticks.

I do suggest putting a little flour or corn meal on the surface while you are rolling out the dough, I'm not talented enough to 'toss' the dough.

I also put some flour or corn meal on my pizza stone or baking sheet to keep the pizza from sticking.

Add your favorite toppings, my hubby and kids prefer sausage and pepperoni. I use about 1/3 pound browned sausage, the pepperoni amount depends on the day I'm having, and then about 2 cups of Mozzarella cheese.

BAKE:

425F for 10-15 min. depending on your oven and the thickness of your crust


You can freeze your dough for up to one month.  To thaw just put in the refrigerator overnight, then bring to room temperature before rolling out.


If you have tried any of my recipes, I would love to hear what you liked or disliked about them.

1 comment: