Monday, July 1, 2013

June ALYF finish

Well I should have done this post at least a week ago, but I told myself I had a week and well I'm sure you all know that when you procrastinate that life foils your plans. Well one day I will learn to stop procrastinating.

My ALYF (A lovely year of finishes) goal for June was to finish one Sun Bonnet Sue block.  I blew my goal out of the water and had one done within the first week!  I guess I'm a bit faster stitcher (Is stitcher not really a word or is spell check just behind times?)  than I thought.


I'm not the greatest blanket stitcher there ever was, so if you have any good tips for me I'm listening.

I actually managed to finish 2 blocks this month, so here is #2.


On top of the 2 quilt blocks I finished in the month of June I also made several more 'Sue' dresses, hats and feet, my son a pair of shorts and 2 pairs of dress pants.  I'm not exactly happy with the way the pants turned out.  I'm not a master pant maker, even though the pattern was super easy, it was sized all wrong and since I didn't make a trial pair for just lounging it is my fault.   

First off, the shorts.  One day as we were going to lunch my son asked me if I could make something for him like I make things for his sister.  I had to think for a minute and I told him I could make him some shorts.  He was all excited.  I then asked the $64 question, "what print/design would you like the fabric to be?".  He had an answer for me and I thought some more and then we were off to Hobby Lobby after lunch and we were able to score the fabric he requested.


He wanted Purdue shorts to wear with his Purdue shirt, bless his little heart.   Now finding Purdue fabric where we live is a difficult task because we live in the town with their in state rival of Indiana University.  

I also made the sweet boy 2 pairs of dress pants for church camp this week.  They have to wear "church" attire to the evening service each night.  I know I could have easily gone and bought 2 pairs of pants for the boy, but I still would have had to hem them since he is a bit husky.  You can't tell in the picture, but He needs the length of a 7/8 but the waist of a 10/12.  I figured that making them myself would be just as easy and the cost was about the same maybe a bit less depending on what store I would have been able to locate long pants for a boy in June when all you can find are shorts.    The boy and I agreed on McCall's pattern number 6222, it is more of a cargo pant pattern but I figured it would be comfortable enough for him.  I learned that the pattern runs very LARGE!  According to the pattern envelope and my sons measurements he should wear the X-Large, after cutting out the pattern and holding it up to him.  I made the medium, while it is still too big for him, I am very thankful for the forgiving elastic waist that I can cinch up so the pants stay up on him.  I again think he was happy that mom made him something else even though I'm not 100% happy with the end product.  



I feel bad for not getting this posted yesterday, but I my stuff done and that is all that matters to me.  Now I'm in the process of picking out some fabric for July's goal.  I promise I won't procrastinate and get it posted  before the end of the week.  Have a great Monday everyone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment