Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Test Kitchen Tuesday

With the holidays coming up, I think I am going to post a few of my favorite holiday recipes. Of course they can be made year round, but we save them for special occasions most of the time because they can be a lot of work. This week I am sharing my favorite aunt's recipe for Cranberry Salad.

Cranberry Salad

2--3 ounce boxes of jello (your choice 1 lemon and one cherry or 2 cranberry work best, I have used strawberry with no issues)
1 cup chopped cranberries (about 1/2 of a bag)
1 medium apple chopped (does not have to be peeled)
1 orange chopped or 1(15 ounce) can of mandarin oranges (save the juice)
1 (15 or 20 ounce) can pineapple, crushed or tidbits work best. (save the juice)
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped pecans

Combine the chopped cranberries, apple, oranges, and pineapple in a bowl and mix with 1 cup of sugar. Let stand for one hour (the fruit and sugar mixture should yield about 1 cup of juice). Combine the reserved juice and either water or more juice to make 1 cup if needed. (you should have about 2 cups of juice total from what you saved from the cans and what the fruit sugar mixture yielded)

In a separate bowl, combine jello and 2 cups boiling water.  Let set/chill for about an hour until cool, but not set firm.

After the hour, combine the fruit mixture, juice and jello. Stir in the chopped celery and pecans, then chill until set (5-6 hours) or overnight.



I apologize for not having any pictures of this weeks dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment