Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Test Kitchen Tuesday

Last week got away from me.  I never got around to sharing my secret project or the 2 dresses I made for my daughter.  I have several more dresses to make yet as well.  So before I get to the recipe, I'm going to play catch-up here.

My model wasn't being very cooperative  for the pictures and was giving me a lot of attitude.


The flowered dress is made from some of the Twirling Around line for Me and My Sisters. 

Here is the secret project.  I made myself a bright springy purse with some leftover fat quarters of Terrain that I had.  I'm in love with it.


 I did some cross hatch quilting on it but it is really hard to see.

Ok, on to the Test Kitchen...

Today, I'm sharing a recipe that was given to me for Stuffed French Toast.   It is great for when you have company coming or if you are doing a brunch with your family.   This is a make ahead dish.

Stuffed French Toast

14 slices Cinnamon-Raisin bread (one loaf)
cooking spray
3 cups milk
2 cups egg substitute, divided
1 cup half and half (or heavy cream if you don't care about calories)
1 cup sugar, divided
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 8 oz. packages cream cheese, softened.
cinnamon-sugar mixture (optional)

1.  Trim crusts from bread. (I'm lazy I leave them on). Arrange half the bread in a 9x13" baking dish coated with cooking spray.

2. Milk mixture: 

Combine 
milk 
1 1/2 cups egg substitute
half and half
1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl

Stir with a whisk. 

 Pour half of the milk mixture over the bread in the dish.

3. Filling: 
Combine cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth gradually add remaining 1/2 cup egg substitute, Vanilla and Nutmeg.  Spread over the moist bread in the dish.   Top with remaining bread; pour remaining milk mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

4. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

5. Uncover and bake for 55 min.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar if desired. 

Refrigerate any leftovers.  This is good cold or re-heated.

3 comments:

  1. The dresses are so cute and so is your model! She was more cooperative than ours was for her portraits this morning :) Can't wait to try this recipe out - the pizza was amazing!

    ReplyDelete