This is not a sponsored post it is my own thoughts and goals.
Addictions, we all have them. Some are good for us, others, not so much. I have recently acquired a new addiction, exercise, yep I'm turning into one of those. Don't worry, I'm not going to lecture you if you have an addiction to food, shopping, smutty novels, high calorie caffeinated drinks made from roasted beans, you get the picture.
I am doing this for me and me alone. About 2 years ago I was told I was pre-diabetic and put on medicine to help control and lower the amount of insulin in my blood that my body just didn't use. Over the past 2 years I have lost around 20 pounds, by just watching what I ate. I had my semi annual doctors appointment to have all my labs checked and to make sure everything was were it needed to be. Well, my cholesterol was up as well as my blood pressure and I had put back on a few pounds as well.
Now this is no new years resolution, it just needs to be done and even though I consider myself young at 35 years old, I'm at the point in my life where the metabolism really starts to slow down and I have to work harder to keep things in check. I know in my head it is going to be a lot easier to lose the weight now than in say 10 years down the road. I have a goal of losing 60 more pounds to be where I want to be weight wise somewhere in the next year or two.
But for now, I'm taking it one day at a time and hope to loose at least 10-15 pounds by the time I return to the doctor in May. I think that will at least show her I am trying to live a healthier lifestyle.
Now I said exercise was my new addiction, I started last week easing myself into things. I didn't want to injure myself the first week out and lose all motivation. Last week I started with some basic yoga, aka NO impact, just stretching and muscle control, and deep breathing. I learned even though there is no impact, it is pretty good cardio and I sweat, a lot. Today I really stepped it up and added in some intensive circuit training followed up by some yoga. Now I want to go for a walk, maybe even jog. I can't get enough. I don't remember the last time I felt this good. Now to stay out of hubbys candy stash in the fridge, and the french fries when we happen to eat out. Now I'm not forbidding myself of these things, just cutting back enough that they don't taste good when I do splurge and allow myself to indulge.
I signed up over at myfitnesspal.com, it is 100% free and there is even a free app for andriod and iphones where you can scan the barcode of your food and it will give you the nutritional information, how cool is that! If you sign up over there and want to 'be friends' let me know and I will let you know my user name. I just don't feel comfortable posting that part on my blog.
So, what is your addition? You don't have to tell if you don't want to, but answer that question for yourself. What gets in your way the most, what is holding you back from being your best?
Addictions, we all have them. Some are good for us, others, not so much. I have recently acquired a new addiction, exercise, yep I'm turning into one of those. Don't worry, I'm not going to lecture you if you have an addiction to food, shopping, smutty novels, high calorie caffeinated drinks made from roasted beans, you get the picture.
I am doing this for me and me alone. About 2 years ago I was told I was pre-diabetic and put on medicine to help control and lower the amount of insulin in my blood that my body just didn't use. Over the past 2 years I have lost around 20 pounds, by just watching what I ate. I had my semi annual doctors appointment to have all my labs checked and to make sure everything was were it needed to be. Well, my cholesterol was up as well as my blood pressure and I had put back on a few pounds as well.
Now this is no new years resolution, it just needs to be done and even though I consider myself young at 35 years old, I'm at the point in my life where the metabolism really starts to slow down and I have to work harder to keep things in check. I know in my head it is going to be a lot easier to lose the weight now than in say 10 years down the road. I have a goal of losing 60 more pounds to be where I want to be weight wise somewhere in the next year or two.
But for now, I'm taking it one day at a time and hope to loose at least 10-15 pounds by the time I return to the doctor in May. I think that will at least show her I am trying to live a healthier lifestyle.
Now I said exercise was my new addiction, I started last week easing myself into things. I didn't want to injure myself the first week out and lose all motivation. Last week I started with some basic yoga, aka NO impact, just stretching and muscle control, and deep breathing. I learned even though there is no impact, it is pretty good cardio and I sweat, a lot. Today I really stepped it up and added in some intensive circuit training followed up by some yoga. Now I want to go for a walk, maybe even jog. I can't get enough. I don't remember the last time I felt this good. Now to stay out of hubbys candy stash in the fridge, and the french fries when we happen to eat out. Now I'm not forbidding myself of these things, just cutting back enough that they don't taste good when I do splurge and allow myself to indulge.
I signed up over at myfitnesspal.com, it is 100% free and there is even a free app for andriod and iphones where you can scan the barcode of your food and it will give you the nutritional information, how cool is that! If you sign up over there and want to 'be friends' let me know and I will let you know my user name. I just don't feel comfortable posting that part on my blog.
So, what is your addition? You don't have to tell if you don't want to, but answer that question for yourself. What gets in your way the most, what is holding you back from being your best?

Healthy living in general....diet, exercise, sleep....are not an addiction and I wish they were. I love to procrastinated, excuse and blame other things instead of taking care of myself. I am in retrospection mode lately!!
ReplyDeleteMy addiction is sewing! Haha :) Okay,seriously,my addiction is Mt Dew Voltage,which is Not a good thing. I have tried numerous times to kick it,but always end up buying it and of course drinking it!
ReplyDeleteI have started easing myself back into a regular exercise routine. The first week I just stretched every day after work. This week I have started taking a short walk (30 min)
I don't have a smart phone/iphone,but I would love to "be friends" I will let you know when I sign up :)