Happy Veteran's Day! I have a huge admiration for all who have served and are currently serving in the armed forces. It doesn't matter what country you live in, you have a military family who serve to protect your country. A huge Thank You from me to you or your family members.
My husband and I have gotten involved with a group of Indy car fans that call ourselves 'The Pit Crew'. Our goal is to serve veterans by helping them.
I spent many hours last week making curtains for an extreme makeover type event that took place on Friday and Saturday. We had 2 Indy car teams join forces with us for the renovation, Panther Racing and their National Guard Crew worked many hours on Friday and Driver Charlie Kimball and his Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi crew were there on Saturday. Hearing stories of how different families have been affected by different aspects of war was very touching. Here is the link to the article that Fox59 (one of the local news stations) did.
![]() |
| Me, Charlie Kimball, and my hubby |
Like I mentioned, I made lined curtains from fabric that was donated. We picked up the fabric over the weekend, but I had to wait on the final dimensions. I received those late on Tuesday evening. Five windows with panel curtians and one very large window that was to be a pleated drape (oh boy) by noon on Wednesday and not having even one panel sewed for the curtains I thought I was doomed for failure. I kept going though, Thursday evening the decision was made that I would stay home on Friday and continue sewing until they were done or the kids got home from school. At 2:00 on Friday afternoon I was stumped on the pleats for the huge bohemith drape and called a friend for help/advice. If it wasn't for her I think I may have jumped off a cliff since we have lots of rock quarries here where I live, she said there is a product called pleat tape that has pocket in which you can insert pins to make your pleats. At that point the light-bulb came on. I had bought pleat tape and sewed into the drape for 'stabilizer' for making my pleats, all I had to do was go to the store and by the pleat pin things, so off to the store I went 30 pleat pins later the drapes were done. I packed my weekend bag and all my hard work (curtains) into the van, and waited on the kids to get home from school and off we went. Ok, I know you want to see more pictures of things, so we are finally to that point.
Ready....
This is the living room before.
![]() |
| Look at those lovely sheers, so glad I didn't have to witness the gross carpet. |
| The giant pleated drapes. The window opening was 105.5" tall by 122" wide. |
Now for the side windows that you see in the middle picture above.
| There are 2 of the 3 windows. I just loved this fabric. |
It was so beautiful.
Now the dining room and hall area off of the living room.
![]() |
| Hall area |
![]() |
| Dining room. No more nasty linoleum |
![]() |
| Me and my hard work in the dining room. Look at the pretty new floor. |
![]() |
| These curtains are lined so hopefully the sun doesn't fade them |
![]() |
| Dining room all done with a nice area rug under the table. |
And that my friends will be all the pictures I am posting tonight. You can see more pictures on The Pit Crew's Facebook page if you are interested. Just click the yellow TPC box above or right here and it will take you to it.












So Awesome! What a great way to say thank you. Your curtains/drapes look wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThis is just amazing! Thank you so much for all you have done for the Veterans in your community, you have given them such an amazing gift, your talent.
ReplyDeleteWow,such an amazing makeover! Thank you Debbe,and your Pit Crew,for Your Service to our Veterans!
ReplyDelete