Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Test Kitchen Tuesday

I tried a new recipe on the family a few weeks ago that I got in an email from Betty Crocker.  I wasn't sure what my husbands take on it would be at the time, but I went for it.  I got lucky and it was a hit all around.

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures of it as I made it or the end product, but you can see them on the Betty Crocker website. I have also seen the recipe going crazy on pinterest as well.

Ok, are you ready?

Impossibly Easy Mini Chicken and Broccoli Pies (they really aren't pies, but it is a cute they were given)

For this tasty treasure you will need:

Chicken Mixture

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces

1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)  I didn't use the onion in mine

1 cup chopped broccoli (can use frozen, thaw and drain well)

1/2 teaspoon salt (I ditched this too and didn't miss it)

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)

Baking Mixure

1/2 cup Bisquick baking mix

1 cup milk

2 eggs

Heat oven to 375 degrees and spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick spray.

In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no long pink in the center.  Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes.  Add broccoli, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally, until mixture is heated through.  Stir in cheese.

In a bowl, stir baking mixture ingredients with a whisk or fork until blended.  Spoon 1 scant tablespoon of mixture into each muffin cup.  Top with about 1/4 cup chicken mixture.  Spoon 1 tablespoon of baking mixture on top of the chicken mixture in each cup.

Bake 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and tops are golden brown.  Cool 5 minutes and then loosen sides of pies from the pan with a knife.  Remove from pan and cool 5-10 minutes before serving.

Here is the nutritional information per the Betty Crocker website.


1 Serving (2 Mini Pies)
 
Calories
280
 ( 
Calories from Fat
130),
 
% Daily Value
 
Total Fat
14g
14%
 
(Saturated Fat
6g,
6%
Trans Fat
1/2g
1/2%
 ), 
Cholesterol
130mg
130%;
 
Sodium
510mg
510%;
 
Total Carbohydrate
11g
11%
 
(Dietary Fiber
1g
1%
 
  Sugars
3g
3%
 ), 
Protein
26g
26%
 ; 
% Daily Value*:
 
Vitamin A
10%;
 
Vitamin C
8%;
 
Calcium
15%;
 
Iron
8%;
Exchanges:
1/2 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat Milk; 0 Milk; 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Fat; 
Carbohydrate Choices:
1 
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.



My husband took the leftovers for his lunch and continued to rave about them.  These are quick and easy to make.  

3 comments:

  1. These sound fantastic! I will have to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy,and fairly easy/quick to put together too! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete