Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Test Kitchen Tuesday

Before we moved 2 years ago there was a pizza joint called Pizza King in our area and they had the BEST Stromboli Sandwiches.  I have been craving them for a while now.  No I'm not pregnant nor do I have plans to be anytime EVER. lol  So I turned up the super taster and  have attempted to create my own.  

You will need:

French bread (any crusty bread with do)

ground sausage (I like italian)

Green pepper and onion finely chopped

Tomato paste or favorite thick sauce

Minced garlic or garlic powder

Italian seasoning

In a skillet, combine onion, green pepper and sausage with a bit of water (1/2-2/3 cup) to make small crumbles.   When the sausage is cooked strain off the water.


 To make your own sauce, empty one can of tomato paste into a bowl, then add crushed garlic or garlic powder to taste (about 1-2 teaspoons), 1/2 teaspoon sugar and 1 tablespoon of italian seasoning. Mix this well, I find a table knife actually works really well for this.  Add about 1/3-1/2 tomato paste can of water to thin it out.  Take a little taste and see if there is anything else that you think it needs and 'doctor' it up to your liking.


 Now, slice you bread length wise to make the top and bottom of your sandwich.


Then pile on your sausage mixture, sauce and cheese.  You can bake this at 400 for about 10-15 minutes or place under the broiler for just a few minutes (2-5 depending on how close to the broiler your sandwich is) to melt the cheese.


Once your cheese it melted put the top on your sandwich and enjoy.   If your bread is soft, you may want to put it back in the over so the top of your sandwich gets a bit crusty.

Enjoy!

You can add other toppings if you like.  I have seen pepperoni, salami, and ham on these as well as (choke) dill pickles.  I love pickles, but they do nothing for me on a Stromboli.  I have also seen them made more like a calzone by using pizza dough instead of a crusty bread.   The sky is the limit here.

If you haven't already entered my giveaway you can find it here. If you have, thank you and good luck.  I am trying very hard to reply to everyone's comment.

Come back tomorrow and see if I made any progress on quilting my daughters Christmas present.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! Is the sauce more of a pasta sauce or a pizza sauce?

    ReplyDelete